I am the Elizabeth Taylor of the feline world.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Born to Run, except when Dancing in the Dark through the Badlands wearing a Brilliant Disguise

OK, when Karen bought her car she got six months free of satellite radio. Philosophically speaking, Karen is against the whole idea of "paying" for radio.

"What does this do to local radio?" Karen asked me. "How would we listen to Astros games without local radio?"


This isn't an issue that concerns me all too much. I only ride in a car every couple of weeks or so. I watch the Astros on television at home.

Furthermore, all Karen knew about satellite radio was it made Howard Stern a very wealthy man. Karen is against everything and anything affiliated with Howard Stern. Let me say it this way: Karen is accepting of Rush Limbaugh, despite disagreeing with about 99 percent of everything he says. She even occasionally will listen to his take, just for the purpose of hearing another side. It all goes back to "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it" (Voltaire).

Unless, that is, you are Howard Stern. Karen believes since Stern contributes NOTHING to the good of America, he should be strung up and eaten by wild dogs.

Anyway, dignity and concern for common man-- radio guys working hard in the local market-- and her puritanical philosophical disagreement with Stern has now gone to the wayside.

Karen discovered E Street Radio.

AKA all Bruce Springsteen all day, all the time.

Please remember satellite doesn't have commercial interruptions.

Karen told me she hears "Thunder Road" every time she gets into the car.

This is a sad state of affairs.

Anyway our song today, which Karen likes and I approve:

"Human Touch" (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Top0ZUzg5bQ&feature=related

Enjoy!!!

G0 Stros!!!

5 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Um, Penelope, are you getting ready to drive that car?

Might at least want to consider a booster seat.

Or maybe you're not familiar with the sober cautionary tale of Toonces, the cat that could drive--but not very well.

Actually, that's probably before your time unless you are a very mature cat.

Penelope said...

Karen told me about this Toonces character. What a horrible story.

I don't drive. Driving falls under the category of work in my opinion and we all know how I feel about that.

-- P

the Bag Lady said...

The Bag Lady wonders if you were just checking out the 'new car smell'?
Satellite radio is, on the one hand, a wonderful thing. The Cowboy has one in his truck, and listens to it quite regularly. The Bag Lady has one, too, which is in the house most of the time. It is also turned off most of the time because the Bag Lady listens to the (admittedly annoying and mediocre) local radio for local news and weather, then turns it off because it is so annoying!!
One thing the satellite radio is terrific for is the long drive between here and Edmonton, because there are long stretches of road where you used to be unable to pick up a radio signal...
And the Cowboy likes it for the same reason when he is working out in the bush.

Travis Erwin said...

I am a Sirius junkie. Channel 63 from 3 til 7 has the best Dj in the world. Mojo Nixon, but I'll warn you, he's not for the timid.

Penelope said...

Bag Lady--

The new car smell is quite nice. Karen is seeming to enjoy it. I personally prefer not to ever ride in the car, as home is rather nice. Karen feels occasionally I should visit her family, though.

-- P